All 5D Blog articles from June 2017 onwards can be located on the 5D Website at www.5d-blog.com No more post will appear on blogger from this point.

Tuesday, 20 May 2014

I Killed The Devil: A Gothic horror web series

I'd like to to draw your attention in this short article to another new web series that I was contacted about this week - and it looks as if it could be another one to keep and eye on. 

I killed the Devil is a horror web series about a man searching for his wife's killer in the supernatural underworld of San Francisco. You know the sort of thing that I'm talking about - Boy meets girl, boy marries girl, boy loses girl to supernatural bad guy in San Francisco, boy then intends to kick the arse of aforementioned supernatural bad guy. We've all been there.

So who is this man and what is his story? Well the filmmakers have been cunningly clever in not divulging too much of a back- story, in fact, one of the few clues to the story is what I've been able to glean from the official website, which is;

"My name is Detective John Roth. I work homicide in San Francisco.

There is an order that only I can see. If I am open to it. If I am good enough. It comes to me in my dreams, my nightmares. Taunting me like a lost lover. 

But I will make this right. 

I will be with you again, my love.

Forever, in the darkness"


The opening episode introduces us to the the plight of the detective as he wakes from another nightmare soon after the death of his wife. He is soon thrust into a disturbing world of violent unreality and hallucigenic like sensations at the hands of supernatural montrosities as he desperately tries to find out who killed his wife, and why. It's safe to say that things don't start off too well for our hero. 

There is no dialogue at all in the episode, instead the viewer is hit with a series of violent and supernatural assaults of imagery and sound as we are transported around the fog-lined alleyways of San Francisco. 

Tony told me that the series has been inspired by the love and inspirations from such diverse origins such as Hammer Horror, David Lynch, Italian horror films (Bava, Argento), The Wicker Man (1973 version!), Kill List and Rosemary's Baby. To be honest, anyone who knows me knows that the best way to find my 'on-switch' is to simply say how much they love Hammer and The Wicker Man. Of course , anyone who knows me also knows that if Tony had said that the Nick Cage version of The Wicker Man had been his choice of preferred movie, then this piece would never have been written. 

These plethora of fabulous influences, even at this early stage of the series,  are clear to see and while it is still possibly too early to make a judgment based on just one episode, I very much liked what i have seen. I would certainly go as far as saying that I Killed the Devil is one of the more unique offerings that I have had the pleasure to see recently. The eight minutes or so of episode one certainly gives an 'Urban Gothic' feel to proceedings that perhaps only the likes of cities such San Francisco, New Orleans or London could really do. Even if Tony had not of mentioned the makers influences, it would have been pretty clear as to what they were - and that is not meant as a criticism, rather the contrary. It is an atmospheric, taught and occasionally poetic example of adult horror and promises good things to come.

The first episode can be seen below....



I Killed the Devil will be presented in 10 episodes of approximately 10 minutes each. The team plan on presenting a new episode every 2 months, finances allowing, and posting each episode on their website. The next episode is due out on May 27th.

So far so good then, but what about the people behind this work? Well, they are San Francisco based Tony Sommers and Dan R. Harris who have over 30 years of combined experience in the film industry and in turn have brought together a very talented cast and crew to make this happen. Dan has an MFA in film from UCLA and has directed several films. Tony is a member of SAG-AFTRA and has been acting for more than 20 years.


For more information on Actor/producer Tony, then visit his IMDB page at  http://m.imdb.com/name/nm1088593/



Writer and director Dan's IMDB page can be found at http://m.imdb.com/name/nm3669599/?ref_=m_tt_cl_t1


For more information on the cast, series and future episodes visit the official website at http://www.ikilledthedevil.com/


The Facebook page for I killed the Devil can be found by clicking on THIS LINK


No comments:

Post a Comment