Saturday, 3 May 2014

An interview with actress, scream queen and burlesque performer, Kaylee Williams.

One of the genuine joys of this blogging malarkey has been the opportunity that it has given me to speak to a wide and varied selection of creative individuals. Along the way I've spoke to authors, filmmakers, actors and many other talented folks who have been taken in by my pestering and self delusion masquerading itself as any sort of influential blogging talent.

In amongst that ever growing list of genuinely creative individuals, there have also a couple of very famous names, one of which just happened to be long time scream queen loves of my life. Someone once told me you should never meet your heroes, well the meeting may only have been virtual, but nevertheless, Adrienne Barbeau was loveliness personified. If you don't believe me, you can read about her loveliness herself BY CLICKING THIS LINK RIGHT HERE

This particular article is in some way the polar opposite of that interview, because while this may indeed an interview with a scream queen, it is in this case one who is is just in the early stages of her career. I say 'early stages' because she may well be a fledgling when it comes to time spent in the business, but certainly isn't a fledgling in terms of work output. 

Kaylee Williams is a native of Chicago, Illinois.  Since first falling into acting, she has become an established scream queen in the horror genre.

Kaylee was nominated for Best Actress in a Short for her lead role in The Many Monsters of Sarah Roth at the 2010 Oklahoma Horror Film Fest and won for Best Actress in an Anthology or Collection by NerdRemix's Best of 2012 Awards for her role in the segment "Anti-Bodies" in the horror anthology Psycho Street.

Her most recent release is The Lashman (2014), a masterful contemporary slasher movie that I had the pleasure and privilege to recieve a sneak preview of just a couple of weeks ago, a review of which appeared RIGHT HERE

For these of you that haven't read the review of The Lashman, or simply cannot be bothered to click on the link, Kaylee plays Jan, who is part of five school friends heading off on a weekend excursion into the hills for a weekend of fishing, swimming and campfire tales near their cabin retreat. For the group, it's the chance for one final celebration before they have to go their separate ways to college and whatever different paths their lives will take them.  Of course, there is a crate or two of beer to help the weekend along. And Mustard, lots of Mustard.

Kaylee (front right), before the screaming begins...
Soon after arrival at their secluded (of course) cabin, the friends are sharing a scary campfire tale about a local urban-myth. He is simply referred to as 'The Lashman' - a man from many years past who was treated pretty badly by the local populace and now whose spirit magically wanders the hills seeking violent and bloody revenge on those that wronged him....or even those who haven't wronged him, he isn't particular. However, little do they realise that a harmless campfire tale of revenge and murder is going to become very real for them and turn into their own worst bloody nightmares!

It's a tremendous slasher film that confounds many of the boring and tedious cliches that have worn down the genre over the years that had regarded apparently 'mundane' things such as character detail hardly being anywhere near the top of their requirements list. In The Lashman, the characters are given time to breathe and develop before the carnage begins - and Kaylee's role in particular caught my eye (and many others eyes , it has to be said). 

It's a performance that is ballsy, sexy and full of wit - the scene where she turns the tables on her jerk of a boyfriend and chastises him is particularly funny. ........ and my god can she scream  - the requisite qualities of a horror scream queen are there in mucho abundance.

Kaylee then fell into my cunning ploy of befriending her on Facebook and then foolishly kindly agreed to give me a short interview. so it transpired that a few weeks ago I compiled my list of my usually cutting edge and insightful questions and sent them to the lovely lady. Unfortunately for me, due to her being as busy as busy could be she was unable to respond straight away.  Despite my pestering, she was niceness personified, even when I asked her recently if she still had the questions, she was apologising profusely for the delay. 

So earlier in the week I was delighted to hear from Kaylee after she had found a window in her schedule to answer my questions - so here it is......




K) "Hey there! Here you go! So sorry for the delay! Thank you for your patience!  :-)"
Me) Hey no worries :-)
Firstly, Kaylee. Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to talk to me - I'll try not to bore you too much! As professional I felt it important to fully, er, research, your Facebook photo's before this interview. So why does Facebook hate boobs?

K) "Ha, I don’t know, you would have to ask Facebook about its personal feelings about boobs. But even if FB were totally pro-boobs, I still wouldn’t be giving away anything for free, LOL."

Me) Hey, congratulations on being nominated for best supporting actress at the 2014 Indie Horror Film Festival for your role in Ron Fitzgerald's "Dark Realm" Project!! You can now lie about how it's being nominated that matters & not winning 

K) "Well I actually did win and I’m SUPER excited about that! It was a huge honor to be named Best Supporting Actress. I think I actually squeeled quite girlishly with excitement when my name was called, haha."


Me) I know that give done working other genres, but you're mostly associated with indie horror. Was working in this genre by design or just a case of where the work happens to be?

K"Honestly, it’s just where the work has happened to be. Don’t get me wrong, I love doing horror films and I plan to keep doing them, but I’m definitely also open to branching out and doing other genres."


Me) The indie horror scene seems to be incredibly healthy at the moment on both sides of the pond. Why do you think this is the case?

K) "think that it’s just such a popular genre that there’s always going to be new and interesting indie horror films being developed/released all over the world."

Me) I recently interviewed Cameron Macasland who directed you in the soon to be released The Lashman. What are your memories of filming that project?

K) "What first comes to mind is that it was HOT! We shot in Kentucky in the middle of summer and it was over 100 degrees every day. But it’s easy to forget the heat when you’re having fun. It was such a great cast and crew and we all had a blast working together to create a really awesome film. I’ve gotten to see it and I think it turned out great! It just had its premiere on April 19th. I’m really excited about this one. So far people really seem to be digging it."


Me) So does working in 'mainstream' films interest you?

K) "Absolutely, if given the opportunity I would love to work in mainstream films!"

Me) Apart from your many film roles you are also a performer for the fabulously named, Gorilla Tango Burlesque - Provocative Parody For The Discerning Nerd - Tell us about this, it sounds simply amazing!
And a Billion Princess Leia fantasies are rekindled.

K)  "We do nerd-themed burlesque shows and it’s tons of fun! Some of the things we have parodied include Star Wars, Super Mario Bros, Batman, Indiana Jones, and Star Trek. I currently play Princess Leia in “The Empire Brings Sexy Back: A Star Wars Burlesque Sequel,” Princess Leia/Han Solo in “A Nude Hope: A Star Wars Burlesque,” and various characters in “Temple of Boobs: An Indiana Jones Burlesque.” I also got to play Luigi in “Boobs and Goombas: A Super Mario Burlesque,” which closed last year. I’ve been performing with Gorilla Tango Burlesque nearly every weekend since October of 2012 and I plan to continue performing with them for as long as they will have me!"


Me) I'd like to say many thanks for you giving your time & hope that the questions weren't too tedious.

K) "Thank YOU for the interview!!  ☺"


So there you have it, not only is she talented, funny, gorgeous and it seems a genuinely nice person, but to be honest she had me at “Boobs and Goombas: A Super Mario Burlesque”, which believe me is something I would have given my right arm to have seen, if only for the fabulous title of the piece itself - genius.




Kaylee Williams can be reached by her Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ActressKayleeWilliams?fref=ts

The most wonderfully named Gorilla Tango Burlesque - Provocative Parody For The Discerning Nerd 's Facebook page can be enjoyed  HERE


The Lashman movie Facebook page link can be found HERE








No comments:

Post a Comment