All 5D Blog articles from June 2017 onwards can be located on the 5D Website at www.5d-blog.com No more post will appear on blogger from this point.

Sunday, 9 February 2014

Space Monsters Magazine


Issue number 3 - excellent, but no Maddie Smith though....
"Space Monsters is dedicated to classic sci-fi, fantasy and monsters in movies and television from the black and white silent era through to the colourful early eighties! 80 black and white A5 pages with full colour front and back covers packed with the very best movies and TV shows from a bygone era.  Featuring features, reviews and artwork from many of the same cast and crew of popular classic horror magazine We Belong Dead,  Space Monsters Magazine has become a huge hit with classic sci-fi and monster movie fans!"
A bold claim in terms of quality and quantity it could be said, from Richard Gladman, the head honcho of Space Monsters Magazine... hmmmmm, a bold statement indeed. 

So when Mr G decided to place a request on Space Monsters Magazine's Facebook at HERE for some genuine requests for reviews of his magazine I thought that I might be able to accomplish two things - firstly to test and challenge the claims of the magazine in my usual biting and insightful way (shut it!). Secondly, it's also a golden chance for me to be genuine once again (the fact that I received a free copy has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion, positive or negative). There are some in my real life away from this blogging lark that may suggest that I'm a compete charlatan  and impostor - but she's only saying that because she knows me....

I may have said it before, but when I was younger and all growing up I was something of a nerd (as opposed to being older and all grown up AND as much of a nerd as ever). The 1970's and 1980's provided a truly rich source of magazine based material for a young nerdy boy (stand in a corner and clean out your mind!) and in my case it was no exception. Perhaps the first magazine I can remember developing an obsession for was the Planet of the Apes publication which was released when I was but a slip of a lad. The magazine accompanied the short-lived spin off television series of the 1970's and was chiefly responsible for my lifelong obsession with the whole Apes movie series, TV series, animated series and remake series......I think you catch my drift.


In those pre-internet days magazines like that and others such as The Six million dollar manAmazing stories and the daddy of them all, Starburst, provided me and other like minded obsessives one of the few links to genres that back in those relatively technologically prehistoric days didn't have the level of acceptability that they may have now. I'm not saying that nowadays our sci-fi, fantasy and horror obsessions are no longer looked down upon - there is still an element of barely disguised snobbishness on some faces when you tell them that you are currently reading/watching the latest piece of science fiction or horror. However, it is safe to say that nerds and geeks are a lot cooler these days than when I was growing up and faced an ever constant tidal wave of in no way concealed derision that I would rather read Philip K.Dick and watch Space 1999 than 'something proper'.

I mentioned some time ago, when I was lucky enough to review copies of the We Belong Dead, just how refreshing it was to see that this modern digital world hasn't completely overshadowed the more traditional forms of publications. For against all considered opinion, paper-based genre magazines seem to be enjoying something of a renaissance with sales and interest being nicely complimented and enhanced by the digital medium. Indeed, I was wandering around a certain movie store just a couple of weeks ago with a friend (yes I do still have friends, surprising I know) where I witnessed a veritable plethora of genre magazines which seemingly catered to every taste that we could possible want...... well most, because as in those dim and dark distant days, apart from such notables such as the wonderful Starburst magazine, classic British themed science fiction and horror still seems to find itself in the lower rankings of publication importance.

But it seems that the tide may well be turning, because in Space Monsters Magazine we have a publication that not only deals with classic Sci-Fi, Fantasy and horror, but even better, a good deal of it's content is British based - hurrah!!

Lets just sit a while and look
 at this picture shall we?....

Now it won't come as much of a surprise to those who have previously read this blogging piece of wonder to hear that  when it comes to Science Fiction I have three particular loves (well three that I can actually talk about without having to consult my already overworked legal team); Classic Sci-Fi & horror, British Sci-Fi & horror and thirdly, absolutely anything featuring the delicious Madeline Smith. 

The third edition Space Monsters Magazine has two of those three important factors - I will sincerely attempt to give an impartial and considered appraisal of the magazine even though there is absolutely no sign of her deliciousness. It may that Maddie may have appeared in issues 1 or 2, however that's not really good enough as I don't have my hands on those two particular copies.

If I was the magazine editor my main stipulation would be that each and every issue should include some reference to her deliciousness. I do acknowledge that it does sound as If I have some dangerous and creepy obsession with Miss Smith and I do seem to appear as if I'm in need of some clinical help.......well, there's a queue for those who believe I'm in need of some psychological help, so get in line :-).

So what sci-fi/fantasy & horror delicacies have in store for us in issue 3 of Space Monsters Magazine ..... well let's find out shall we?

The first thing that caught my eye in regard to the magazine was the stunning layout and artwork (of which a great deal has been specially commissioned) - it quite simply looks amazing. I have only the PDF copy to go by but the paper copy (which I hope to get my hands on soon) is beautifully adorned with not one, but two choices of truly wonderful cover art.
"Bride of Frankenstein in Outer Space"


One example is the one at the top of this blog and the second cover is this stunning piece of artwork by Woody Welch. This and other works from the magazine's artists such as Ash Loydon Trevor Talbert give the overall feel of the magazine a wonderfully rich and textured artistic quality.

Not only that, but there is a veritable plethora of original cinematic stills, poster art and lobby cards, some of which I've never seen before which makes even the most hardened of nerds feel as if he or she is wandering through a veritable science fiction and horror themed Aladdin's cave of wonder. It's all a true feast for the eyes which perfectly compliment the range of articles and features. 

If I was more clued up on Internet copyright I would right at this very moment be downloading and saving each and every one of the posters, cards and film stills for my own personal collection. But of course I'm not doing that. I am however very very jealous and rather intimidated by the range of visual talents on show, they're just showing off and it's not fair.

I will genuinely be getting in touch upon the completion of this blog entry with Mr Welch to obtain a signed copy of the 'Bride of Frankenstein in Outer Space' - and that is in no way sycophantic hyperbole.

A stand-out feature that immediately caught me eye is the magnificent 15 page feature examining the appearance of Frankenstein in the movies. It's written by Sascha Cooper, who according to the background info in the magazine is a professional actress, dancer, psychic medium, writer and owner of Crimson Horse Theatre Company based in Brighton. Yep, definitely again someone who is far too talented for her own good - or in other words, makes me inconsolably jealous and insecure.

The Frankenstein movies produced by Universal Pictures were perhaps my first true horror loves, so this article naturally caught my eye first. It's a gorgeously thoughtful and well researched examination of not only the movies themselves, but also of the literary background and influences dating back to the birth of the story from the story telling competition between Mary Shelley & her band of poetic deviants. 

This wonderful article takes us on a detailed and captivating journey from that initial telling of scary stories that were initially intended just to pass the time during a period of bad weather, through those magnificent Universal Pictures films featuring the genius of Boris Karloff. The piece finishes at the point where we see Shelley's originally tortured  creation now treated as an object of slapstick comedy in the 1948 Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein - about as far away from the original story but, as the writer nicely argues, still with it's legitimate horror merits. I can't wait for the follow up article which takes up the story from the 1950's when the simply stunning Hammer productions created new paths in Frankenstein lore.  

The Lovely Joan in a bit of a pickle
However, please don't think that this magazine is simply an elitist high-browed view of classics of the genres that you and I love. There are plenty of features that are intelligent yet still fun and enjoyable purely for the sake of being so - an example of which is a lovely piece on the fabulous 1970's big Bug movie Empire of the Ants

Ernie Magnotta provides us with an entertaining write up of this wonderfully (often unintentionally) funny low budget movie. I must admit to always loving this film which features a young and decidedly scrumptious Joan Collins. She plays the role of a decidedly unscrupulous a real estate agent who cons unsuspecting individuals to buy property on an island which is going going transformed into a getaway for the rich and prosperous jet set.

Things however quickly go more than a little pear shaped for Miss Collins' character as it soon transpires that the island is full of intelligent giant carnivorous ants (Naturally). The special effects are pretty ropey, even for a 1970's B movie, but despite that (or probably because of it) the film is a perennial favourite viewing experience of mine and many others. 

A favourite movie given the entertains review treatment that it deserves - a genuine treat.

Emily Booth given the Woody Welch
treatment - as it were.

There is of course much much more, including pieces on French animated feature Fantastic Planet (1973), Ultraman (1966), One Million Years B.C. (1966), Moon Zero Two (1969) - which is a truly wonderful 'Space Western' that I first saw in my teens on one freezing cold winter's evening and to this day I cannot understand why this movie has never reached a wider audience. As a result, I was overjoyed when I saw that this movie was being given the loving treatment that is finally deserved. 

Believe me, I haven't even began to scratch the surface of the plethora of other material in the issue. 

Issue 3 of Space Monsters Magazine is a near perfect visual and literary feast for classic horror and classic sci-fi fans alike. It is obvious that this is a true labour of love for Richard and his team who clearly feel passionately about the genres and subject matter contained within each and every issue. This isn't simply a case of superficial nostalgia for a past age of classic television and cinema, yes it is a genuinely lovely to look at appreciation of gems from out past lives, but there is a genuine show of talent and obvious attention to detail to the features in the magazine.

If that wasn't enough, part of the obviously talented team of writers and artists one particular writer happens to be the truly lovely Emily Booth, presenter de delicious from The Horror Channel, who pens columns on her favourite examples of horror film and television. It is all genuinely excellent stuff.


Now if we could only improve Space Monsters Magazine further in the upcoming issues with some Maddie Smith................



Where to buy Space Monsters Magazine?....well seeing as you're asking .......Here is a list of some fine online and traditional purchasing establishments depending on whether you want the PDF version of the wonderful A5 sized paper edition.



Classic Horror Campaign – 


Dead Good Publishing Ltd (Digital Version) –

The Cinema Store – 5 Upper St Martin's Lane, London WC2H 9NY


Camden Film Fair – Saturday 22nd February 2014

Ninth Circle – various festivals and events throughout 2014

Psychotronic Store –

Scare Store – 

Suspect Video – (605 Markham Street * Toronto * Ontario * Canada * M6G 2L7)

London Film Memorabilia Convention – Saturday 29th March 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment